Thursday, November 1, 2007

So here it goes...

I'm finally doing it. This is the first official blog of hopefully many to come.

The reason I've decided to do this is not because of the forever nagging of others to start nor the envy of others' ability to write. It's not even the adorable pictures and videos of kids that I've spent hours looking at. It happened today when I was attending a writing workshop. We were "learning by doing" and the assignment was of course...to write...which I'm not so great at. However, I just let the pen flow and...out it came. The assignment was about writing to the senses. We had 5 minutes to write and of course when the time was up, I was not finished. It seems that writing about Clark could be the answer to getting me to enjoy writing!

The presenter read us this book (which I can't remember the title) where each chapter began with "let me tell you about . . ." That was exactly our assignment. So...

Let me tell you about Clark:

I see a blue-eyed, blond haired boy that looks more like an angel that anything I've ever seen. His bangs hang just over his eyebrows and his "pretty little mouth" looks perfect in every way (Memaw, that's for you!). His smile lights up his entire face and when he's sleeping, there is no more perfect sight! Is it possible that everyone thinks he looks as angelic as he does to me?

I hear his giggle when we play chase or hide and seek. His subtle grin slowly turns to a laugh, which gives way to a shriek that takes every bit of what his tiny little body can give. Music to my ears!

I smell syrup on his cheeks even after his face and hands have been washed (a half dozen times). I eventually realize the smell may be lingering on his shirt instead of his hands and face. School peers teach all kinds of things. One of which is to wipe your hands on your shirt. Why waste paper towels when you always have a shirt?

I taste Goldfish, raisins, Nilla Wafers, Smarties...I'm willing to take almost anything he's willing to share. His sweet little hands pick up one at a time; He wants me to savor every bite (and I do). Every single fingerful is special because I know if he's willing to share the things he loves the most, his heart is already growing in the right direction.

I feel his gentle hands as he pats my shoulders during a hug. There is warmth in every part of me, from each corner of my heart right down to the tips of my toes. All feels well with the world!

5 comments:

Jodi Brinkley said...

Too sweet. That brought tears to my eyes. He is an angel.
I think I'm gonna have to start this blogging thing. Maybe it will help me remember to take more pictures of my family. I've become such a slacker.

Mandy said...

Alexa - glad you're blogging now! You'll have fun and we'll have fun keeping up with you guys! Hope you have a good weekend - put some Halloween pics on here of Clark!

Heather said...

I love it! You are a writer...such a sweet entry!!! I'm so happy you are blogging now!!! :) - Heather

Alice said...

The shoulder pat during the hug - one of my FAVORITE things. Love the blog, Alexa. You capture the spirit of Little Man so well in your writing.

Jana said...

That is so sweet, capturing each sense and relating it all to Clark. He is a precious little boy. Glad to see you blogging.